Friday, October 31, 2008

What Am I On? I'm On My Bike

Lance Armstrong is one of my favorite characters in sports. I had the pleasure of seeing him back in 2003 as he peddled the streets of Paris sipping champagne wearing the maillot jaune. In terms of dominating one’s sport at its highest level, Lance’s only competition is Tiger Woods. In terms of being an absolute inspiration, Lance has few competitors. For those of you who haven’t read his book, It’s Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, definitely check it out. Lance also dishes out some great quotes. One of my favorites was in response to doping allegations: “Everyone wants to know what I’m on. What am I on? I’m on my back, busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?” Shot down with a 12-gauge.

Now, after a two year hiatus, Lance is returning to race in the Tour. I’m sure he’s going to try to win—he probably will—but he’s also returning to raise even more awareness for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and LiveStrong. So far he’s been quite successful. A recent survey of nearly 500 marketing executives found that Armstrong topped the list of both celebrities and athletes whose actions and causes were the most influential.

To be sure, Lance is on of the movers and shakers in the sports industry. He comes in at 15th in Businessweek’s most recent Power 100 which ranks the most powerful people in sports. So his return to the Tour is thus being well received by many in the sports marketing and branding world. Companies such as 24 Hour Fitness, FRS energy drinks, Oakley and Nike are certainly excited to have Lance back. According to Sports Illustrated, Armstrong pulled in between $17-20 million in endorsements in 2005.

The key to Lance’s marketing success is the personal connection he makes with the public. His story, his success and the causes he works for produce an overwhelmingly positive image that companies and, more importantly, the public find attractive. As Lance returns to the Tour next summer, he will be in a position to take his brand and cause global. He will likely try and partner up and collaborate with global companies and initiative promoting similar cause agendas. The French may not be excited to have him back, but I and many others are definitely excited to see Lance race for his eighth Tour victory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone, I'm not brand-new on the site but I decided now was as good as time as any to say whats up, so.. well hi :)
Here is [url=http://provenpenisenlargement.blogspot.com/]Our site