Monday, June 15, 2009

From The Crowd



Any true, hardcore sports fan appreciates good trash talking. When done right it enhances the experience for friends and hopefully it jeers the player in the crosshairs.

Last fall, while sitting in the right field bleachers as a Washington Nationals game, we called out Elijah Dukes for his sub-par play and propensity to miss the baseball with his bat. We pissed him off, he flipped us off and then proceeded to can a routine fly-ball. Dude deserved it, he’s a punk. But we didn’t curse, didn’t cross any lines and kept it, well, R-rated yes, but at least not NC-17.

Where am I going with this?

While good trash talk can be all fun and games, sometimes fans take it over the line. Like the Rams fan at the Niner game last year who I saw toss his Bud at a Niner fan but pretty much missed due to his inebriation and spilled it, instead, on a little girl. Punches ensued, security arrived, and though it’s darkly entertaining, it’s unnecessary.

A new service being peddled around sports stadiums is the ability to text security in order to alert them to unruly fans who may be taking things a bit too far. So when you finally get tired of the drunk bum behind you who’s been spitting on you as he tries to curse the ref, you can solve the problem discreetly, without confrontation.

The service is offered in 29 of 32 NFL stadiums, and dozens of MLB, NHL, and NBA venues. This past week, I received an email from the SF Giants informing me that they are going to begin offering the service themselves. It’s called the “Text-to-Security” program and is being billed as a fan enhancing tactic.

And on its face, it is. If someone is being a true dick, they should be tossed. No one likes the guy uninformed, ignorant jackass that’s too stupid, drunk and unathletic to realize that a third-to-first pick-off move is not a balk. So when he spews out his bullshit you can get the jerk removed.

Nevertheless, in a sense, it smacks of tattling and narcing. Fans shouldn’t have to protect themselves in the first place, nor should they be put in the position of having to rat on fans, no matter how stupid they’re acting. The onus shouldn’t be on the fan to police the stands. That’s what the ushers are for! They’re the ones who should be making sure that fans don’t get out of line. Still, it’s a good thing that stadiums and management are recognizing that while energy should exist at events, games and matches don’t have to have the same atmosphere as a British pub after their soccer team was beaten by the German nationals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I discovered your website via Google even as searching for a comparable matter, your site got here up, it appears
good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, simply became aware of your blog through Google, and located that it's truly informative. I'm gonna watch
out for brussels. I'll appreciate when you proceed this in future. Numerous folks will likely be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Visit my page; ジョーダン2013

Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.

But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress
on several websites for about a year and am anxious about
switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into
it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!


My webpage ナイキ スニーカー 新作